- Avoid or cut down on alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Exercise regularly (ideally at least 150 minutes per week).
- Get regular, good-quality sleep.
- Get vaccinated against hepatitis A and B.
- Tell your doctor about any medications, herbs, supplements and street drugs you use.
- Follow medical advice for keeping diabetes and high cholesterol in check.
- Get regular follow-up tests to monitor for worsening liver disease.
Healthy Liver Tips
While research is underway to develop new therapies for fatty liver disease, here are steps you can take to keep your liver healthy.