29th October 2015
Wow this is BIG... Hep C patients in Britain DO NOT need a prescription from their doctor to import generic Hep C meds for personal use into the UK.
I recently wrote to the British MHRA, their regulatory authority on these matters and the reply I received states clearly that a prescription is NOT required from a UK doctor to import these Hep C treatment medicines. A prescription from an India doctor is suggested but not required if meds are sent by post. A prescription from an Indian doctor I can help arrange using your existing medical records such as test results etc. So forget about the UK’s spineless doctors and autocratic health bureaucrats and just import the meds and get yourself healed.
Please read the exact copy of the reply below.
From: MHRA Customer Services 
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 9:50 PM
To: greg jefferys 
Subject: RE: Sending prescription medicine from India to the UK
Dear Mr Jeffreys,
Thank you for your email on importing medicine for personal use. 
There is no requirement for a member of the public to notify the MHRA of the importation of medicines for personal use and the legislation does not restrict such importation. Consequently, we do not issue any form of licence, certificate or authorisation to aid personal importation. We consider personal use to involve the use of the products by you or your immediate family or household; under such importation you must not sell or supply imported medicines onward as this would be considered placing the product onto the market.
Please note that up to a 3 month supply of a medicine is considered to be an acceptable quantity for personal use, HM Revenue and Customs can prevent importation if large quantities are being imported and/or they have suspicions that the product is not being imported for personal use. There is more information on the HM Revenue and Customs website at the link below:
We would also advise you to investigate whether the product(s) to be imported would be categorised as controlled substances in the UK. Controlled drugs are regulated by the Home Office under the Misuse of Drugs Act, and can require a licence to allow their entry into the UK. The Home Office have published a list (although not exhaustive) of controlled substances on their website and we would advise you to contact them directly for clarification on whether a Home Office licence is required for importation into the UK:
If you would be posting packages containing medicines, we suggest including a copy of the prescription and/or a letter from your doctor explaining why the product(s) are required; the package should be clearly labeled on the outside stating the contents of the package and that the products are for personal use. Medicines should be kept in their original packaging and should be transported in accordance with storage conditions specified by the Manufacturer (this not only helps identify the medicines, but also helps ensure the product’s stability).
I hope you find this information useful.
Kind Regards, 
############ (name removed for privacy reasons)
Customer Services 
Communications division
Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
151 Buckingham Palace Road, London, SW1W 9SZ
Telephone: 020 3080 6000
Email: info@mhra.gsi.gov.uk