In recent years, there have been several reports showing a significant increase in the rate of hepatitis C among young people who inject drugs, particularly among young people under the age of 30. We have also seen a related trend of an increase in the number of pregnant women with hepatitis C as well as the associated increased risk for mother-to-infant transmission of hepatitis C.
Please join the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable for a webinar on December 13, 2017 on the topic of hepatitis C among pregnant women. The webinar will feature five healthcare professionals who will provide information about increasing rates of hepatitis C among women of childbearing potential and pregnant women. The webinar will also include a discussion of whether expanded hepatitis C screening among pregnant women is warranted.
- Jorge Mera, MD, Director of Infectious Diseases for Cherokee Nation Health Service (Moderator)
- Kimberly Page, Ph.D., MPH, MS, Professor and Chief of Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Preventive Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
- Stephen Patrick, MD, MPH, MS, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Health Policy, Division of Neonatology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Kathy Sanders, RN, MSN, Adult Viral Hepatitis Prevention Program Coordinator, Kentucky Department for Public Health
- Sarah Schillie, MD, Division of Viral Hepatitis, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, CDC
For more information about this webinar, contact Tina Broder, NVHR’s Program Director.
 National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2017. A national strategy for the elimination of hepatitis B and C. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
 Patrick SW, Bauer AM, Warren MD, Jones TF, Wester C. Hepatitis C Virus Infection Among Women Giving Birth — Tennessee and United States, 2009–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;66:470–473. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6618a3.
 Watts T, Stockman L, Martin J, Guilfoyle S, Vergeront JM. Increased Risk for Mother-to-Infant Transmission of Hepatitis C Virus Among Medicaid Recipients ― Wisconsin, 2011–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;66:1136–1139. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6642a3